Employee onboarding is incredibly important to get right. Good news for you is I'm going to give you the ultimate checklist to make onboarding employees easy.
Checklists are the most popular method for HR professionals to onboard new employees, for good reason, they are easy to follow and give clear instruction on what to do, however, there is loads of them out there so this is the ultimate, the cream of the crop, the checklist to end all checklists - ready to get started? Let's do it.
Don't want to read? Just looking for the checklist? No problem, here you go:
Why is onboarding so important?
Losing top talent is more expensive than you think. Great onboarding is essential. Need some proof?
- Onboarding programs can increase retention by 25% and improve employee performance by 11%.
- Employees who participate in a structured onboarding program are 69% more likely to stay with an organisation for 3 years.
- It takes 8-12 months for new hires to be as proficient as their tenured colleagues.
- 15% of employees said the lack of an effective onboarding program aided in their decision to quit
Source: Christine Marino in 7 Need-to-Know Facts About Employee Onboarding
What is employee onboarding?
According to SHRM new employee onboarding is "the process of integrating a new employee within a company and its culture, as well as getting a new hire the tools and information needed to become a productive member of the team."
Employee onboarding covers every step including:
- Preparations before the new start's first day
- Providing an onboarding pack (that's what we do 😉)
- Introduction to the tools used
- Orientation of the office or remote working practices
- Meeting the team
- Evaluating your employee’s onboarding experience afterwards
The best bit about it? It increases productivity, saves you money and improves company culture.
So, the stats are not great, but don't fear, GoSwag is here! The most used approach for onboarding is a checklist, that is why we have created the ultimate checklist for employee onboarding, we have recently adapted it to make it applicable even if you and your team are onboarding new starts remotely due to Covid-19 restrictions.
With such a broad variety of jobs, working environments and professionals we have created a non job-specific checklist - it covers everything you will need to go to bring your new rockstar into the team.
So here it is: The Ultimate Employee Onboarding Checklist